[asterisk-users] Dahdi will not compile on Unbuntu Studio Linux 9.10 (Karmic) 32bit

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Apr 27 05:36:14 CDT 2010

Steve Gladden wrote:

> So that explains why it won't compile eh?
> And wow Kevin...
> I'm curious how much work would it be and would it be worth it?
> I've always imagined RT kernels would be excellent for asterisk.
> I've also wondered why it appears not to have been done 'out there'
> Or discussed very much.

It's never possible to state why something has *not* been done, unless
there is a very clear reason for not doing it.

I don't know that anyone can state how much work it would be, since the
RT kernels have been a wildly moving target for most of the past two
years. Whether the work would be worth the effort or not cannot be known
until the amount of work is known, so...

As far as usage in the Asterisk community, the vast majority of Asterisk
servers run Asterisk itself as the single primary application on the
system, so there really isn't competition for CPU resources between
Asterisk and other applications (which is where RT kernels would
possibly be helpful). Whenever someone reports issues because they have
a busy database server, web server, or some other application on the
same box, the conventional approach is to get that other application
onto another box. It is conceivable that RT kernels will help to
eliminate the need to do that, but until they have reached mainline
status, it's doubtful anyone will do the work to support them (not that
Asterisk needs any work in this area anyway... it's DAHDI, which is not
necessary in all Asterisk installations).

Finally... it seems highly unlikely that an RT kernel would be able to
provide any tangible benefits when running in a virtualized system; the
entire point of RT kernels is to be able to guarantee CPU availability
on a predictable schedule, which isn't possible when the virtualization
system can't guarantee that itself.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com