[asterisk-users] Message notification without MWI

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Tue Apr 27 05:00:52 CDT 2010

Hello,

For a couple of hardphones which do not have Message Waiting Indicator, I'm
wondering what could be the most efficient and reliable way to notify users
a message is waiting.

Though messages could be sent as email attachment, I'm thinking I should
mimic cellphones behaviour like this:
5 min after a message if left, then call back mailbox owner and let him
listen to its message,
30 min after message drop, another call
4 hours after message drop, another call
24 hours after message drop, the last notification call occurs,
if a notification call succeeds, then every other planned notification call
is removed,
if user checks its voicemail, then every planned notification call is
removed.

What do you think of this ?

To generate notification calls, call files and externnotify parameter in
voicemail.conf seems to fit.
What do you think of using it ?
What about inotify tools ?

Regards