[asterisk-users] Does 'file' command work with asterisk genereted alaw file

Pham Quy quyps at vega.com.vn
Mon Apr 26 03:11:15 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 23:39 -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Sunday 25 April 2010 23:22:21 Pham Quy wrote:
> > I record an alaw file by asterisk's record monitor command, and i  use
> > linux's file command to check it information.
> >
> > file command recognized the alaw file as "DATA", is it correct?
>
> The file command works by recognizing certain header data in a file.  As the
> alaw format has no header, that command won't recognize the data as
> any particular format, so it tells you "DATA" as its fallback.
>
> --
> Tilghman Lesher
> Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Developer
> twitter: Corydon76 | IRC: Corydon76-dig (Freenode)
> Check us out at: www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

I've just tried to config my softphone (twinkle) with different codecs.
i found out that if I remove all the active codecs but G.711 A-law, then
the .alaw-output file can be recognized by 'file' command as following:

----
#>file 983006584-20100426-142120.alaw
983006584-20100426-142120.alaw: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
ITU G.711 A-law, mono 8000 Hz
-----

but after i changed the active codec to the others, the output is
recognize as DATA again.

Does the .alaw-output internal codec (or whatever it is) depends on the
codec used by softphone? and if i choose different softphone codec, i
will get different output file?

Thanks in advance

Quyps