[asterisk-users] VoIP monitoring tools

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Apr 25 13:32:15 CDT 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Michael Wilson wrote:

> I think DSL is 1/2 duplex and in most cases way to slow on the way Up for VOIP.

Not sure what country you're in, but DSL in the UK is full duplex and more
than capable of handling VoIP, as I'm sure the millions of users who use
it would attest. My own ADSL outgoing is 830Kb/sec and many of my
customers enjoy 1.2Mb/sec outging. (With up to 24Mb incoming)

Speed usually isn't the issue, and it's a trivial calculation that we all
ought to be aware of to work out how many channels a given speed DSL line
can handle..

The biggest issue I've had in the UK has been using shite quality ISPs.
Get a good business quality ISP, then a good router which can do outbound
traffic shaping and you're in with a fighting chance.

The only half duplex connections I've used in recent years have been Wi-Fi
- which looks like full duplex, but is really half duplex at the link
layer.

For the OP: Your biggest hurdle is going to be working out how your
countrys DSL backhaul to the ISP works, and then which ISP to choose, or
if it's ISP controlled all the way with not choice from the exchange, just
how good they are and what sort of contention they impose on their DSL
network.

Gordon