[asterisk-users] RTP over TCP

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Apr 24 12:02:06 CDT 2010

Hi!

> Doesn't surprise me if Microsoft tries sending RTP over TCP. Maybe
> their engineers didn't know basics of VoIP when they were programming
> their communication server.

Not quite - doing SIP over TCP rather then UDP is the right thing to do
(tm). It's just that everyone started out with UDP in the early ages of
SIP - also think about the benefit of "TLS".

As for MS OCS: That uses TCP for SIP and UDP for RTP.

Where MS failed: OCS _only_ does SIP over TCP, whereas Asterisk _only_
does/did SIP over UDP. Neither is/was RFC compliant.

Philipp