[asterisk-users] Asterisk choking on voice messages announcements

Ryan Bullock rrb3942 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:49:19 CDT 2010

So I be it sounds like all the recordings are underwater.

Are you using dahdi for timing? Can you run dahdi_test?

Asterisk needs a good timing source, in the case when you don't have a
physical card providing it, it relies on kernel ticks or the RTC (or HPET).
Because of the nature of virtual machines they don't always get access to
the processor when they want and therefore their timing can get skewed and
can be bad for real-time applications.

There are some patches/work-arounds that you can do. You might want to
google 'asterisk in a virtual machine' or 'asterisk timing virutal machine',
or anything along those lines.

I think I remember in some of the recent dahdi or asterisk release notes
that they changed some settings to be more virtual machine friendly. So
maybe make sure you are running the latest versions?