[asterisk-users] Asterisk choking on voice messages announcements

bruce bruce bruceb444 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 12:25:11 CDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have a weired situation where calls in and out are proceessed all right
but when I dial *97 Asterisk is literally choking when it comes to
announcements like "Password" or "Call from 205-456-2222". Each one of those
announcements can take like 10+ seconds to finish with most of it not even
compoundable.

I run "top" and there is no heavy load on CPU or RAM. I dial out and it's
all fine.

Can you please give me some pointers as to where to look for the problem?

Also, if I allow a call to go to voice-mail on my extension, the
announcement, "The person at extension 4000 is not available" is also
garbled and very slow like a choking sound. This is serious because people
think they are have reached a faulty answering machine or just cut off
because there is a long instance of silence sometime.

Thanks