[asterisk-users] 1.6.2 No "soft hangup"?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Tue Apr 20 14:00:08 CDT 2010

Steve Edwards wrote:
> How obvious.
>
> Kind of makes me wish I still used 1.2 -- oh wait, I do.

If you're used to the 1.2 commands, look at cli_aliases.conf. It has templates
for 1.2 and 1.4 CLI commands.

It does seem we've missed the 'soft hangup' command though. I'll add that now.

> Seriously though, IMNSHO, with every release the CLI gets more obtuse.

The CLI formatting won't be changing anymore. The reason it looks like that was
because 1.4 was a half-way conversion to the 'module verb argument' formatting
that was adopted to provide a structure to the Asterisk CLI.

Because 1.4 only partially implemented it, and 1.6.2 fully implemented it
(mvanbaak, JunK-Y, and myself all worked on finishing the work that was started
and got all the commands converted to the 'module verb argument' formatting
during AstriDevCon 2009), it was confusing for those coming from 1.2 (or 1.4).

The work is now done, and the CLI will have few if any changes going forward.
The only changes would be if a command was missed.

> I'd like to see a more natural and intuitive interface following a "verb
> noun" model like Oracle, MySQL, or even GDB.
>
>        hangup [sip|iax|dahdi] channel <channel-name>
>
> seems so "obvious."

Using cli_aliases.conf as of 1.6.2 you can do that. Feel free to generate any
type of grammar you want. If you do so, feel free to submit it as a template for
use by others on the issue tracker (http://issues.asterisk.org).

The default formatting though is 'module verb argument'.

Leif Madsen.