[asterisk-users] Extensions Reload | Asterisk Freezes ? 1.4

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Mon Apr 19 09:00:21 CDT 2010

Positively Optimistic wrote:
> We have what I consider to be a large dialplan (-= 1501 extensions (2559
> priorities) in 99 contexts. =-)
>
> If we have more than 10 or so channels up (all SIP, no TDM) and issue
> the "extensions reload" command..  quite often, asterisk will completely
> freeze up...  requiring us to either kill and restart the process or
> restart the box...
>
> I should probably also share that when watching the log files, at the
> time the "extensions reload" command executes...  there are no
> exceptions and/or issues reported while parsing the dialplan...
>
> Has anyone in the community experienced this..  and/or have any
> suggestions ?

Do you have a particular version this is happening on? Does it happen on all
versions? When you say it freezes up, does it happen for a long time, or a short
time (i.e. are you restarting because you can't wait for it to finish reloading,
or whatever it is doing)?

When you are reloading the dialplan, do you have verbosity enabled or disabled?
I find calls can be locked from doing anything while the dialplan is reloading,
and if you're doing it remotely with verbosity enabled, this can make it take
longer than necessary.

If Asterisk locks up, perhaps it is some sort of deadlock. There is some good
information recently added that should help you gather debugging information if
you plan on filing a bug report (http://issues.asterisk.org)

http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/HOWTO_collect_debug_information.txt
http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/backtrace.txt

Leif.