[asterisk-users] Changing storm-prevention behaviour in logger.conf

Remco Bressers rbressers at signet.nl
Sun Apr 18 13:21:57 CDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 12:40 AM, Barry Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:14:23PM +0200, Remco Bressers wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> According to https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=14905 there is a storm
>> prevention mechanism in newer Asterisks. If i look in my logfile, i see :
>>
>> [2010-04-17 15:12:01] NOTICE[1190] chan_sip.c: Registration from '"xxxx"
>> <sip:xxx at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>' failed for 'xx.xx.xx.xx' - Wrong password
>> [2010-04-17 15:12:01] NOTICE[1190] chan_sip.c: Last message repeated 3
>> times
>>
>> This IS a good thing to do, but i want to disable this behaviour. We are
>> using fail2ban to ban scripts and people from the Asterisk system. On
>> version 1.4.23 this worked fine, but now this mechanism is in place, i
>> cannot use fail2ban anymore.
>>
>> Is there any option to disable this behaviour, or even better, add it to
>> logger.conf so anybody can decide what to do? I just want all logging and it seems impossible now.
>> Maybe a patch on the source?
>
> If you use a newer version of rsyslogd to do your logging, there is a
> global configuration directive:
>
> 	$RepeatedMsgReduction off
>
> that will do what you are asking.  The issue #14905 patch you mention is
> not in 1.6.2.x.

Hi,

Well, this sounds fair, but this happened after an upgrade to 1.4.29 from 1.4.23. Nothing else changed in my setup after that.

My logger.conf :

[general]
dateformat=%F %T

[logfiles]
console => notice,warning,error
messages => notice,warning,error

This tells me i'm not using the syslog feature at all and /var/log/asterisk/messages is generated by Asterisk and not by syslogd

Please help.

Regards,

Remco