[asterisk-users] Testing a sip call through Asterisk?

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Fri Apr 16 17:17:07 CDT 2010

On 04/16/2010 03:39 PM, Nathan Clemons wrote:
> I'm looking to find a test tool that will register with our Asterisk
> (Trixbox) server here at work and place an outgoing call via our main
> SIP trunk (BroadVoice) to confirm that things are working. I've looked
> around but I can't seem to find any tools that will do what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I can't just monitor the status of the trunk inside Asterisk, as this
> is the normal status:
>
> asterisk*CLI> sip show peers
> Name/username              Host            Dyn Nat ACL Port     Status
> BroadVoice/425256XXXX      147.135.32.221       N      5060
> Unmonitored
> 37 sip peers [Monitored: 5 online, 31 offline Unmonitored: 1 online, 0
> offline]
> asterisk*CLI>
>
> Alternatively, any suggestions as to how I can change the trunk
> configuration so that it is monitored would be appreciated. The peer
> config is set as:
>
> allow=ulaw
> disallow=all
> canreinvite=no
> context=from-trunk
> dtmf=inband
> dtmfmode=inband
> fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com <http://sip.broadvoice.com>
> fromuser=425256XXXX
> host=sip.broadvoice.com <http://sip.broadvoice.com>
> insecure=very
> nat=yes
> secret=XXXXXXXXXX
> type=peer
> username=425256XXXX
>

> Any assistance would be appreciated. I'd rather know when things fail
> via an automated system rather than learning it's down from the users.
>
> -- Nathan Clemons

I believe that adding qualify=<enter your value in seconds here> to your
trunk configuration is what you are looking for for the monitoring
state.  This will send SIP OPTIONS packets to the trunk periodically.
See "qualify" in the sip.conf samples or documentation.

 From there you can use a monitoring solution to monitor the state of
the trunk.  Alternatively you can use a OSS tool called SIPp to test SIP
devices.  See *http://sipp*.sourceforge.net for more information.  This
is an indispensable tool for SIP and Asterisk troubleshooting.

I hope this helps.