[asterisk-users] Asterisk/Polycom Dialed Party Name

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 18:51:41 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk/Polycom Dialed Party Name

> Karl Fife wrote:
>
>> Question about how Called Party ID feature is implemented in trunk/1.8:
>> Will an instance be able to populate the Called Party ID with any
>> dialplan
>> variable, (think CNAM dip to an external DB) or will the Called Party ID
>> be
>> drawn from an asterisk-resident data structure such as from users.conf?
>> I would assume the former, but I don't want to get my hopes up.  I
>> understand the implementation to be less-than-straightforward.
>
> The CONNECTEDLINE() dialplan function and various macros that run at
> defined times will allow you to specify anything you like; we've had
> tests where app_voicemail spit out prompt file names as the 'connected
> party ID', for example.

snip---
>  macros that run at defined times
> app_voicemail spit out prompt file names

So do I understand correctly that during the course of a single call the
Called Party ID can change multiple times, and be reflected on the phone's
display (ala SIP update)?

If so that's fantastic news.  ZipDX the conference calling company does
something similar to convey status updates to the endpoints of the
sip-connected conference members.  It's an excellent use of technology.
Your app_voicemail example is apropos.  I've always thought it would be
efficient to use SIP update to have app_voicemail send message duration,
name info etc to the endpoint display.
-Karl