[asterisk-users] Asterisk/Polycom Dialed Party Name

Marc Smith marc.smith at mcc.edu
Thu Apr 15 08:09:42 CDT 2010

Hi,

We are in the process of moving from an Avaya Definity to Asterisk for
our institution's phone system. I got one feature that the Avaya had,
which I have not been able to reproduce with Polycom phones and
Asterisk; since this feature seemed so small and useless to me when
testing, I kind of ignored it. Now I am getting more "I miss that"
requests than I expected. =)

On the Avaya's, when you dialed another user's internal extension, on
the phone you are dialing from, it would display the user's name that
you're dialing. Basically it was matching the contact/extension you
dialed on your phone to an entry in the directory, and displaying that
contact/extension's full name (eg, when I type in 20467 on my phone
and hit dial, my phone would then display Marc Smith while it was
ringing Marc Smith's phone).

I've Google'd quite a bit and haven't really found any solutions; I
found one other guy asking for the same thing, but no answer for him:
http://forum.voxilla.com/polycom-voip-support-forum/see-you-call-polycom-ip330-37297.html

Has anyone been able to replicate this with Asterisk and Polycom
phones? If not with Polycoms, maybe another brand of phone?

I see an option in the Polycom SIP administrator manual that comes
close, but it clearly states this will not work for outgoing calls:

--snip--
up.useDirectoryNames
0 or 1
Default: 0
If set to 1, the name fields of the local contact
directory entries which match incoming calls
will be used for caller identification display and
in the call lists instead of the name provided
through network signaling.
Note: There is no matching of outgoing calls.
There is no matching to corporate directory
entries.
--snip--

Currently on Asterisk 1.6.1.1 and Polycom SIP version 3.2.2.0477
(Polycom 330s and 560s).

--Marc