[asterisk-users] Regarding remote registration of SIP user on zoiper

Vinod Parameswaran vinodp at infoscience.otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 14 19:36:30 CDT 2010

Hello list,

I am new to this list and have been using Asterisk as part of my research project for about 2 weeks now.

I would like to get your thoughts on a scenario that I am attempting at the moment. I haven't had luck until now.

In this scenario, I am trying to register a SIP user configured on the zoiper client installed on a laptop, which is on the same Local Area Network, with the Asterisk server running on a different Linux box.
On the same Linux box, there is another zoiper client running with 2 users who are registered with the Asterisk server on the local domain.

The IP address of the Linux box is static. The SIP port configured on this box for incoming requests is 5060.

The configuration for the SIP user on zoiper client reads as follows:
(I have only mentioned below those settings that have been enabled)
Domain : <IP address of the Linux box>
Username: <user name>
Password: <password>
Caller ID Name: <same as user name>
Registration Expiry: 3600
SIP Port: 5060
Use default STUN
Use DTMF RFC-2833

On the Linux box, I have the following entry for the user in sip.conf:

[<user name>]
type=friend
host=<IP address of the laptop. This is a dynamic address allocated by the DHCP server, but is current.>
fromuser=<same as user name>
context=outgoing

On the Linux box, I have the following entry for the user in extensions.conf:

[outgoing]
exten =>102,1,Dial(SIP/<user name>)
exten =>102,n,Congestion(7)
exten =>102,n,Hangup()

[phones]
include => internal
include => outgoing

With the above configuration, I intend to achieve two objectives:

1. To register the user <use name> configured on the zoiper client that is installed on the Laptop, with the Asterisk server on the Linux Box. Both the Laptop and the Linux Box are on the same LAN.
2. To successfully place a call from one of the users configured on the zoiper client installed on the Linux box and registered with the Asterisk server on the local domain, to the user <user name> configured on the zoiper client that is installed on the Laptop.

However, my observation has been that the zoiper client running on the laptop tries to register the user <user name> with the Asterisk server on the Linux box without success.
I tried placing a call to the user <user name> configured on the zoiper client that is installed on the Laptop, from the zoiper client running on the Linux box, but that failed with the error "no route to destination". Based on this observation, I presume that there is some issue related to the zoiper client on the laptop being able to talk to the Asterisk server on the Linux box, and vice versa. I have been able to successfully ping the Linux box from the laptop and the laptop from the Linux box.

I would appreciate if you could help me with your suggestions in debugging this scenario.

Thanks and regards
Vinod