[asterisk-users] Converting GSM calls to SIP

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Wed Apr 14 13:24:10 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tonty T <tonty2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a solution they proposed, using GSM gateways, but it wont let me
> handle 1000 simultaneous calls, the other option was using an E1 but the
> cost would be too much to deploy 35 E1s to support that many calls.  There
> might be a better way of doing it.

If you are planning on having 1000 simultaneous calls, you're going to be
looking at a hefty price tag one way or the other.  Things to consider - if
you're going to have 1000 concurrent calls going out over VoIP trunks (SIP /
IAX / whatever), you need to have enough bandwidth to comfortably handle
that many calls (each g729 is 8Kb/s bandwidth (but you need to pay a license
fee for each channel of g729), each g711alaw is 64Kb/s, etc).  That amount
of bandwidth won't be cheap, plus the cost of the ITSP giving your 1000
concurrent channels to call on.  On the other hand, if you have a bank of
E1's, which support (I think) at max 30 concurrent voice channels, you'd
need 34 available E1 spans.  I'm not sure if you can get 34 spans working in
a single asterisk server (there was some discussion about this recently on
this list), and you'd have the cost of 34 E1 spans as well.

Just some additional things for you to consider when building out your
solution.

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby