[asterisk-users] protocol used to connect Asterisk and GSM core network (MSC)

Ngo-Vi Hoai-Anh hoaianh at gmx.de
Wed Apr 14 08:34:14 CDT 2010

You can take a look here http://www.gl.com/images/GL_Network_GSM.gif .

As far as I know Asterisk (FreeSwitch, Yate or what so ever for PBX
system) is normally connected to the GSM core network thru the GMSC
(Gateway MSC). They talk with each other SS7 ISUP.

Theoretically seen one might have a GMSC talks DSS1 and VoIP (SIP, H323,
IAX etc...) as well but I don't think it is standard.