[asterisk-users] Being attacked by an Amazon EC2 ...

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Apr 13 08:49:16 CDT 2010

Hi!

> Any aditional security within * is fine, but if someone is simply
> drowning your bandwith, action must be taken at a lower level.
> Otherwise you endup re-inventing the wheel for D.o.s. attackes for voip,
> mail, ssh, ldap, http, rsync, (or any other service you might be running)

However, I *still* think Asterisk should provide a "delayreject" option
in sip.conf to greatly slow down answering request avanlanches. That will
help to address the bandwidth issue if the attacker is configured to wait
for a response before starting the next request.

Apart from that here are the most important messages: Use strong
passwords in sip.conf, and use keys in iax.conf, and avoid usernames that
can be guessed too easily (numbers from 100 to 9999 and first names).

Philipp