[asterisk-users] Being attacked by an Amazon EC2

Randy R randulo2008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 01:19:23 CDT 2010

> I worked with Project Honeypot guys for a while, they are more than
> willing to assist, as they already have the backend work done for a
> clearing house identifying hackers.  The biggest issue we had a year
> ago was to create the mechanism in asterisk to push valid log messages
> out to the database and then determine what to do with that data?

Because I run a lot of forums and blogs, I use Project Honeypot,
report to them and have lent them a few honeypot MX and pages.

> I tried to bridge the gap between a few Asterisk developers and the
> Honeypot developers, ultimately the project stalled and I got busy
> with other matters.  If anyone here would like to pick up the torch
> and move this along, I can certainly provide info on how far along we
> got and contact info for the parties involved.

Project Honeypot seems pretty overworked/overstretched already, but if
you're able to communicate whith them that's excellent, they are doing
a great job with their DB, it saves me a lot of time.

> Please contact me if you have time to work on this and are interested.
>  I'm sure the Project Honeypot guys will be willing to pick this
> project back up and work on it.

I can't contribute code, but I can help spread the word. I also still
believe that Amazon needs to put resources to work on the problem. The
cloud is too easy to hide in for what are obviously fraudulent
operations.

We will certainly be talking about this on the VoIP Users Conference
in the next weeks. We should schedule it as a topic, possibly for the
April 30th. Would you be available for that JR? (12 Noon EDT)

/r