[asterisk-users] Asterisk + DRBD Performance

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Sat Apr 10 20:13:37 CDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM, James Lamanna <jlamanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone had any experience using DRBD to mirror an entire asterisk machine?

Entire, no.  Specific/Important mounts yes.

> If so, is there a performance issue at all when people are recording
> voicemails and the like?

I haven't seen any performance issues, but most installs that I have
done aren't recording a ton of messages at a time.  I don't have any
statistics, but if you had more information on the installation size
it would be easier to say.  I also have MySQL running on a DRBD
mirror, and don't have any problems with updates.

I also do all of the replication for DRBD on a "cluster" interface,
which does not pass any VoIP traffic.

> It seems like that could generate quite a bit of traffic. Also, do you
> bother to mirror the log files as well?

I don't mirror the log files. just:
/etc/asterisk/
/var/lib/asterisk
/var/spool/asterisk

and tftp/http/mysql directories if used.

If you really want to test it out, create the mirror and do some disk
throughput testing.  That way you can validate your specific hardware
and network infrastructure to what you expect.

-Jonathan