[asterisk-users] LDAP integration

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Sep 29 10:30:37 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 11:01 -0300, Rafael Seste wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I looked on the Internet but I didn't find any good how-to.
> I would like to integrate a ldap server ( with all users data) with
> asterisk to authenticate SIP users. With this solution I will only
> need to add a user on ldap, it will not be necessary to add any
> special configuration on sip.conf
>
> Is that possible???If so, How can I configure this setup???
>
> Thanks in advance

I considered doing this using LDAP as a real-time database.  I decided
not to for two reasons which I'll share below. However, I am very new to
Asterisk so I would be very curious to know from more experienced folks
if my assumptions were false.

First, there were some good how-tos about using LDAP as a real-time
database but, if I recall, the schema is extended in such a way that the
regular user password is not the password used by Asterisk.

Second, I believe we saw a way we could map the Asterisk password to the
regular user password (it's been a while so I'm not sure about that) but
were concerned about the problems of entering secure passwords from a
phone keypad.  We enforce fairly secure passwords - at least nine
characters with some variety of characters and encourage much longer
passwords.  Having to enter lots of characters in both cases as well as
symbols seemed difficult from a phone keypad.  Thus, we decided
(reluctantly) to use separate simple passwords for phone access instead
of the very secure passwords we use to data access.

Hope this helps and looking forward to more informed comments than mine!
- John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation