[asterisk-users] play audio file within an active call

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Sep 29 04:07:20 CDT 2009

Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can share their thoughts on how to implement a system that periodically checks active channels which have been up for more than X minutes and plays/injects a sound file. The idea is to simply warn users that they've been on the phone for quite a while and maybe they should consider hanging up. If the call stays up for more than Y minutes, it is dropped automatically (softhangup).
>
> What's the simplest approach to playing a sound file within an active channel?

I think you should be able to do this with ChanSpy and the whisper
option. However, Asterisk already has a facility for this. This is from
core show application Dial

    L(x[:y][:z]) - Limit the call to 'x' ms. Play a warning when 'y' ms are
           left. Repeat the warning every 'z' ms. The following special
           variables can be used with this option:
           * LIMIT_PLAYAUDIO_CALLER   yes|no (default yes)
                                      Play sounds to the caller.
           * LIMIT_PLAYAUDIO_CALLEE   yes|no
                                      Play sounds to the callee.
           * LIMIT_TIMEOUT_FILE       File to play when time is up.
           * LIMIT_CONNECT_FILE       File to play when call begins.
           * LIMIT_WARNING_FILE       File to play as warning if 'y' is defined.
                                      The default is to say the time remaining.

/Benny