[asterisk-users] DAHDI Question/Choppy Sound

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 13:16:24 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru)
<andreil1 at starlett.lv> wrote:
> Sound still choppy. Probably I'm missing something very very simple. There are
> 2 Ethernet interfaces on the server, ,I do not have any actual Zaptel
> devices, but as I understood, dahdi is still need for timing.

Define 'choppy'.

You could be having problems related to 'vad', or voice activity detection.
What kind of channels are you using?
What voip phones or TDM phones are you using?
How are you testing voice quality?

Problems I've seen with asterisk-1.6 voip that could be called
'choppy' that weren't caused by Asterisk:
* vad enabled on Cisco voip routers. Turn it off in the dial-peer rules.
* vad enabled on Cisco phones. Turn it off on the phone config.

Asterisk voip-specific:
* 'talker optimization' should be disabled on MeetMe() conferences.
It's way too aggressive. Turn it off.
* /etc/asterisk/dsp.conf set silencethreshold=1024
* /etc/asterisk/codecs.conf set vad=>false