[asterisk-users] New thread - SIP over VPN

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sat Sep 26 17:09:52 CDT 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

<snip>

> We are using SIP over both IPSec and SSL VPNs very successfully with
> access controls in the tunnel ingress via the ISCS network security
> management project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net).  There are a couple of
> issues.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by a TCP tunnel unless you are referring to
> something like using OpenVPN over TCP rather than the default UDP.

Isn't an SSL based tunnel all TCP?

[snip]

> to UDP port 1194 but can use any UDP or TCP socket.  There has been some
> discussion that using it over TCP for VoIP can produce better results
> because the packets are less likely to be delivered out of order
> although perhaps with greater latency.

The resends would have to happen within the jitter buffer period, as
someone else pointed out, or I would think large chunks would be missing
in the audio (the missing packet plus all the ones queued up after it that
missed the jitter window).  Total speculation on my part.

[snipped excellent tips on ToS!]

Cheers,