[asterisk-users] Connecting home intercom to Asterisk?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 19:40:05 CDT 2009

I have done something similar using the following:
1. An Adit 600 with FXS card.
2. A door box from Viking
http://vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=428
3. An inline dialer from viking:
http://vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=137
4. A relay activated using an FXS port ring signal from Mike Sandman:
http://www.sandman.com/wizard.html#UniversalRingRelay

First an explanation of the problem. Big office building they want
during off hours when there is no receptionist and the door is locked
that a visitor can ring an office without actually knowing their
extension/phone number.
The Viking door box is actually a regular phone packaged in a door box
that supports Auto Answer and uses power from the FXS port, no
additional power is needed. When the call button is pressed it just
goes off hook.
The dialer plugs in inline with the door box and provides touch tone,
needs a 9VDC battery
The relay will make contact between C and NO and break contact between
C and NC while there is ring on the line (FXS port).

In zapata.conf I have the FXS port that the door box is connected to
configured as hot line which takes it as soon as it goes off hook to
an IVR.
The IVR asks the caller to spell the name of the person/office the are
looking for or just dial their suite number or extension number.
The spelling invokes app_dir, anything else just dials that person.
Dynamic features is set so that if *5 is pressed it will dial the FXS
port that has the relay connected to it so that the door unlocks.

Hope this helps.