[asterisk-users] dCAP Exam

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Sun Sep 20 07:47:23 CDT 2009

Benny Amorsen schrieb:
> Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> writes:
>
>> In a nutshell, you can pass the test without having any experience on
>> Polycom IP phones and Digium cards, as long as you know how to use
>> Asterisk itself.

> I don't think it's unreasonable at all that it is in the test -- if you
> can't connect SOME kind of phone to Asterisk, you don't deserve
> certification. They have to pick one brand because it's infeasible to
> bring 5 different phones for each test taker.

What about "Bring your own favorite phone"? :-)
IMHO the Polycoms are a bad choice for the test because they
reboot for every modification of the SIP account parameters so
unless you have previous experience with the Polycoms you will
loose a lot of time.
BTW: The default username/password is "Polycom"/"456".

> The Address field should NOT contain an IP address.

Yeah, that's a bit hard to guess.

As far as the analog card and DAHDI is concerned: I just skipped
this part and didn't even compile DAHDI. Go for the bonus credit:
AFAICR it was something about DND and call forwarding. Don't waste
your time on ODBC or MySQL or anything that I would normally do.
Use AstDB.

Make sure you are familiar with either vim or kate/kwrite.

Start compiling, and meanwhile read the rest of the test.

Don't try to remove the default stuff from the sample config files.
"Quick & dirty" is the motto.

BTW: The supervisor said he had never seen anybody else use AEL
before. :-)

    Philipp Kempgen
--
AMOOMA GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer, Handelsregister: Neuwied B14998