[asterisk-users] G.729 for Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Sep 15 04:26:29 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Gordon Henderson <
gordon+asterisk at drogon.net <gordon%2Basterisk at drogon.net>> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > Asterisk supports this codec in passthrough without buying anything and
> no
> > real hit on the CPU since no transcoding necessarily takes place.
> >
> > A world wide Asterisk system/network using all G729 from phones, to make
> > menuselect and selecting G729 sounds and getting a G729
> > origniation/termination is a beautiful thing.
>
> Apart from MixMonitor, MeetMe and voicemail )-:
>
> And calls to GSM mobile phones where the transcode from G729 to GSM (via
> alaw in the PSTN) doesn't sound that good - even to me and I have rubbish
> ears...
>
> Gordon
>
> True enough,

Luckily, I don't use mixmonitor in that deployment.  voicemails are few and
far between in relation to call volume and meetme is only used regularly but
with very few participants.  3 way calling is usually sufficient.

Would Nconference or whatever the drop in replacement to Meetme have G729
issues.

I guess the G729 to GSM depends on the provider.  Using L3 or XO, I have
never really heard any issues.

On a double VSAT hop around the world with 10:1 or 20:1 contention on a
small pipe, yeah, I have heard audio problems but I know for a fact that
G729 is actually helping, not hurting.

BTW, I do all SIP.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro