[asterisk-users] G.729 for Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Tue Sep 15 03:04:14 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM, silent sayz <silent.sayz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ivan Stepaniuk.
>
> Thanks Vinicius for the the clear explanation.
>
> So we use this codec because it have good quality and many VOIP providers
> use it.(for interoperabilty) because Asterisk dont support this codec by
> default and we have to buy a lisence for it(per channel basis).
>
> Thanks Alot
>
> Adam

Asterisk supports this codec in passthrough without buying anything and no
real hit on the CPU since no transcoding necessarily takes place.

A world wide Asterisk system/network using all G729 from phones, to make
menuselect and selecting G729 sounds and getting a G729
origniation/termination is a beautiful thing.

Well at least when many of your satellite branches and remote phones are on
VSAT or other slow DSL kind of links, it works very well and there are no
licensing fees.

You only need to pay to transcode (go from G729 to another codec).  I
suppose you already paid when you purchased the phones, whether you use it
or not.

I have done so, and the VSAT voice quality has improved ten fold.  People on
the LAN have not noticed any difference going from Ulaw to G729.

I would like to see Speex supported by all vendors, but that is only wishful
thinking for now and probably forever.

ILBC is terrible in my opinion.  Do a show translation and ILBC is a hog,
plus it doesn't even sound that great.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro