[asterisk-users] G.729 for Asterisk

Vinícius Fontes vinicius at canall.com.br
Mon Sep 14 09:35:25 CDT 2009

A codec is completely independent from the protocol used. I guess you're mistaking the protocol (SIP, IAX2, H.323) for the codec (G.711, G.729, GSM, iLBC).

You don't have to necessarily use G.729 codec, but a lot of VoIP providers use just G.729 or G.711 codecs in their platforms, so it's a matter of interoperability.

Also, IMHO, G.729 has the best voice quality for a compressed codec. Many users can't notice the difference in a call using G.711 and G.729. The same can not always be said for other compressed codecs like GSM or iLBC.

Vinícius Fontes
www.asteriskforum.com.br - Informações e discussão sobre Asterisk e telefonia IP