[asterisk-users] Duplicate DTMF

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Sep 9 21:22:25 CDT 2009

Hello, all.  I've come across a nasty problem just as we are ready to
put our first system into production.  During our final testing, we were
plagued with several "invalid extension" or "password incorrect"
messages when we knew the information entered was correct.  Upon
investigation, we saw that DTMF signals were occasionally but not
consistently duplicated.  We might dial extension 1234, see 1234 on the
phone from which we dialed, but see 112334 on the Asterisk console.

We have seen this from cell phones calling via the PSTN (we use a SIP
trunking carrier and do not handle the PSTN interface ourselves); we've
seen it from land line phones via the PSTN, and have even seen it
internally from our own Snom SIP phones.

dtmfmode=auto but we have also tried setting it to rfc2833 and we have
tried relaxdtmf set to both yes and no.

We are running Asterisk 1.6.1.6 on CentOS 5.3.  We really don't know
what more to do to fix it.  Googling shows that others have had this
problem but I haven't seen a clear resolution other than playing with
relaxdtmf.  How do we solve this problem? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com