[asterisk-users] Should digium build a 2FXO / 2FXS 4-port daughterboard?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Sep 9 03:28:06 CDT 2009

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Thomas Kenyon wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Alec Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Definitely, 10 votes from me.
>>>
>>> For the home user, 2xFXO + 6FXS, in a single slot small profile box is
>>> ideal, but only able to offer 2xFXO + 4xFXS at the moment.
>>>
>>> SIP phones don't exactly have the appropriate WIFE factor. A standard off
>>> the shelve, no frills phone does the job.
>>
>> You're kidding, right? Or maybe my wife is just more demanding...
>>
>> 6 FXS's at home? Ye gods, think of the wiring! We went DECT 8 years ago
>> and haven't looked back...
>>
>> I do confess to having 1 FXS port though - we have an old BT rotary dial
>> phone which sits in the 70's corner, along with a lava lamp...
>>
> I must just be a freak then, at home I have 4 SIP phones (excluding
> unused ones), and a linecard with 6xFXS and 1xFXO (admittedly I only use
>  4 of the FXS ports).

Well, technically we have several SIP phones at home (and there's only 2
of us), but they're all Siemens Gigaset devices, and the base stations are
all on the UPS, along with the PBX, ADSL modem/router, switch, server...
The newer ones can have multiple handsets, each with their own SIP account
connected to the same basestation (with a limitation of 2 concurent calls
per base-station, and up to 6 handsets per base)

Wire free house - well the living area. The office is a different matter!

Gordon