[asterisk-users] Should digium build a 2FXO / 2FXS 4-port daughter board?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:50:35 CDT 2009

Please chime in if you've ever wished for digium to make a 4-port daughter
board with a combination of 2FXO AND 2FXS ports on the same card.

When using the 800 series cards, one must either choose 4-port permutations
of FXS/FXO, OR one must give up 2 valuable ports.
In other words, when you add ONE 100-series daughter board, you give up TWO
of your physical ports.

Is there a technical reason for the lack of such a card, or is it just a
case of  "insufficient business case" to justify the development?

If it's the latter, I would like to state that I am ready to buy several
'2x2' cards.

I also assume I am not alone.  I often run into situations where I am space
constrained (embedded enclosure) or resource constrained (bus slots 1u
rackmount) which rule out the obvious solution of a larger card
(AEX/TDM2400P) and/or rule out  the inclusion of an additional 4-port
interface card (2x TDM400).

A '2x2' 4-port 'combo' daughter board could not only allow 2-port
granularity vs. 4 port granularity in the 800 and 2400 series boards, but it
would also be a very attractive option as a 'beginner' interface card,
allowing 2 ports of each interface, while allowing lots of flexibility in
the future--4 more FXO, 4 more FXS, OR just another 2x2 card for a
symmetrical 4x4 setup.

In my case, I find myself most often needing a 6 x 2 setup

Please chime in if you've ever wished for a product like this from Digium.

Thanks!

-Karl