[asterisk-users] Using asterisk as the recording server

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Tue Sep 8 09:05:38 CDT 2009

Erik de Wild escribió:
> using mixmonitor might not be such a good idea. afaik the mixing of
> the recordings of the two channels starts after ending the call
> causing a high cpu load. if you have recordings going on all the time
> moving the 2 files that has to be mixed to a dedicated mixing server
> might be a good idea. after mixing it should be stored in a
> retrievable way.

No, that was the old behavior of Monitor() with the m option that at the
end of the recording it launched an underneath sox process which did the
mix, causing a CPU spike on every conversation end and putting asterisk
on trouble if there were many mixes at the same time. Mixmonitor took
care of that, and it does the mixing while the conversation is taking
place, thus generating the single file with no CPU spikes or external
process calls.  Your idea about the separate mixing server was what our
company did about three years ago with the old first 1.2 asterisk
versions, where MixMonitor used to be buggy and we were forced to
implement that kind of solution. But times are a lot better now!

Cheers,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina
Grupo de Tecnología