[asterisk-users] Using asterisk as the recording server

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Mon Sep 7 17:25:25 CDT 2009

> I imagine this setup will need those two communicating entities to be part
> of the pabx. But support extension 100 of PABX A (legacy) calls 101 on the
> same platform. I want asterisk connected to PABX A via E1/T1 to know about
> that call and start recording (tap) without bridging or being part of that
> conversation

Hi,

Asterisk won't work as a recording server if the call doesn't go through
it. In the IP world it means that both media (RTP) and signalling must
pass through asterisk, and in the E1/T1 digital or analog world it means
that the call must be bridged through asterisk. A simple dialplan would
explain it:

exten => s,1,Answer() ;Asterisk receives the call, from the lecagy PBX
or from the external link (this should be two different contexts)
exten => s,n,MixMonitor(blah....) ; Records the conversation,
exten => s,n,Dial(Tech/peer/number...,30,rtTwhatever) ; and sends the
call back to the legacy PBX or to an external link

If you want to record 100% calls, you would have to route every call
through asterisk, even internal PBX calls. Even if you want to tap your
legacy PBX to a non-asterisk recording server like the ones suggested
before in this thread, the calls must go through a link to make tapping
possible and you should seek an alternate solution to the internal calls
within your legacy PBX. The beauty of asterisk and open source IP-PBXs
relies on the native recording capabilities which makes things really
easy. When you see that asterisk works and that can do the recordings
and much more, you would start thinking on making asterisk your main PBX
solution and leaving that legacy PBX for minimal uses.

Cheers,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina
Grupo de Tecnología