[asterisk-users] Strange beep when using VoiceMailMain application

Santiago Gimeno santiago.gimeno at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 03:30:23 CDT 2009

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the answer!

2009/9/7 Martin <asterisklist at callthem.info>

> that's probably for ADSI phones ... chan_local confuses the VoiceMailMain
> app
> and you hear it ...

I'm experiencing this with different SIP phones and softphones.

> Why do you need to call it via chan_local ? Can't
> you do Macro or just
> call VoiceMailMain directly ?

That's a good question. The reason is that we were experiencing problems
with some DECT phones using the g729 codec and accessing the voicemail. The
phones stopped playing media when they stopped receiving RTP packets for a
few seconds, and usually this would happen between the locutions of the
VoiceMailMain application. So the solution we thought of was to use the Page
application in order to play some background audio at the same time as the
Voicemail. Something like this:

exten => _X.,1,Page(Local/${EXTEN}@voicemail-page
&Local/background at voicemail-page,dq)

[voicemail-page]
exten => _X.,1,VoiceMailMain(${EXTEN}@mydomain.com <EXTEN%7D at mydomain.com>)
exten => background,1,MusicOnHold()

This has worked pretty well except for this weird beep at the beginning of
the call. While figuring out what might be the problem I observed this
happened if I tried to call VoiceMailMain via chan local.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Santi