[asterisk-users] Using asterisk as the recording server

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 23:05:46 CDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Steve
Totaro<stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com> wrote:
> A dedicated recording server is recommended if you are going to be recording
> a good deal of calls.
>
> You certainly would not want to run out of hard drive space on your Asterisk
> server and bring it down.

Bring it down, really?

I think monitor would just complain that it couldn't write to a
device. I suppose you could have problems if your recording partition
was also your system partition, but that would be true for any
application, such as apache web activity logs.

> Also, with Asterisk (last I knew) ~60 simultaneous calls, the audio starts
> breaking up very badly due to I/O.

This would be channel and system independent. For instance i/o
blocking could cause problems but why would it affect simple non-mixed
audio, like simple bridged Dahdi channels?

> OrecX can do over 300 simultaneous calls and only need port mirroring
> enabled on your switch.  Even if it crashes or HD fills, call go on
> normally.

If a non-system hd fills, calls will go on normally.
Port mirroring seems like a pretty heavy-handed way to do call recording.

How about asterisk, writing to a ramdisk for recordings, and every
five minutes or so syncing off the completed recordings to a SAN? (You
may have guessed I did this, and pushed it past 60 simultaneous
recordings).