[asterisk-users] running a asterisk -rx command in bash backgroun

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Sep 6 06:12:05 CDT 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Elliot Murdock wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a very simple bash script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> asterisk -rx "sip show peers" > /var/log/devices
>
> When I run it in bash shell, everything works fine, but if I
> background it (by adding & or using bg), nothing appears in the
> /var/log/devices file.
>
> Any reason for this behavior or help would be great!

Even though it doesn't need it, it seems to be expecting keyboard input,
so it stalls. Odd, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Try this:

   rasterisk -x 'sip show peers' > /var/log/devices < /dev/null &

You may now have lots of processes stuck, waiting, so best run

   ps ax | fgrep asterisk

to check.

Gordon