[asterisk-users] G.722 problems with IAX

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 15:32:03 CDT 2009

On 4 Sep 2009, at 07:53, Armin Schindler wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 September 2009 02:47:05 Armin Schindler wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I try to move our asterisk installation (3 Asterisk servers in
>>> different
>>> offices connected using IAX and a lot of SIP phones, as well as ISDN
>>> connections using CAPI) to use G.722 instead of G.711.
>>>
>>> Asterisk 1.4.25.1 is used with the G.722 patch (the fixed one,
>>> which solves
>>> the gain problem).
>>> So SIP-to-SIP and to ISDN there is no problem. G.722 itself works
>>> and
>>> transconding to G.711 for ISDN also works good.
>>> But when I make a connection through IAX to another asterisk (having
>>> allow=g722 to really use G.722 in IAX) the voice is 'broken'.
>>>
>>> I also work on G.722 for twinklephone and encountered a special
>>> thing about
>>> G.722: It has a sample rate of 16000, but it announced as 8000 in
>>> SDP.
>>> Since I have similar problem with my G.722-twinkle implementation,
>>> it looks
>>> like the RTP and/or jitterbuffer code has a problem with that.
>>> Did I miss something here or is this really a bug?
>>
>> You missed that the IETF has a typo in the specification, stating
>> that G.722
>> is to be stated as 8000, even though it's 16000.  This will remain,
>> due to
>> backwards compatibility concerns.  Please see RFC 3551, section
>> 4.5.2.
>> http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3551.html#sec-4.5.2
>
> No, I didn't miss that. See my text.
> I mentioned this because I think this might be the reason of the
> problem and
> the incorrect handling in jitterbuffer, if it is the jitterbuffer.
> It is
> just a guess, since everything else seems to work good.
> The question is why does G.722 via IAX has problems.
> Is anyone using it and can say it works in his setup?
>
> Armin

I've got g722 running through 1.4.22.2 with the patch set that targets
1.4.7

Calls from our java iax softphone come in as IAX2 in g722 and leave
via SIP to a g722 conference service.
seems to work ok. No transcoding, recording etc, and the jitterbuffer
is _off_ since it's a VoIP to VoIP call.

(a few folks used it on  the VUC conference this afternoon - anyone
have problems ?).

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk