[asterisk-users] G.722 problems with IAX

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Thu Sep 3 02:47:05 CDT 2009

Hello,

I try to move our asterisk installation (3 Asterisk servers in different
offices connected using IAX and a lot of SIP phones, as well as ISDN
connections using CAPI) to use G.722 instead of G.711.

Asterisk 1.4.25.1 is used with the G.722 patch (the fixed one, which solves
the gain problem).
So SIP-to-SIP and to ISDN there is no problem. G.722 itself works and
transconding to G.711 for ISDN also works good.
But when I make a connection through IAX to another asterisk (having
allow=g722 to really use G.722 in IAX) the voice is 'broken'.

I also work on G.722 for twinklephone and encountered a special thing about
G.722: It has a sample rate of 16000, but it announced as 8000 in SDP.
Since I have similar problem with my G.722-twinkle implementation, it looks
like the RTP and/or jitterbuffer code has a problem with that.
Did I miss something here or is this really a bug?

Thanks,
Armin