[asterisk-users] Allowing multiple callers to join a public speaking session...?

lists at mgreg.com lists at mgreg.com
Wed Sep 2 12:19:13 CDT 2009

Hi All,

As is obvious by my joining the list, I'm interested in learning more
about Asterisk.  I have downloaded the PDF manual (for version 1.4)
and am beginning to go through it.  What I'm looking for in the short-
term, however, is a more concise reference for common Asterisk
configurations and setups.

I currently have a non-profit client to which I am donating work.
They are looking to allow callers to listen in to public speaking
sessions.  They currently have a single phone line with call waiting
and are using an archaic one-person switch to then allow folks to call-
chain via 3-way calling.  What they want is basically a "switchboard"
that allows multiple people (5 to 10) to call in at a time of their
choosing and begin listening to the "in-progress" session.

My first question would be:  Is Asterisk the proper tool for this job
(or is there something else you'd recommend)?  A follow-up question
would be:  What kind of cost is involved in a small setup of this
nature?

Your input is much appreciated.

Best,

Michael