[asterisk-users] SIP and other phones other then local network

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Sep 2 10:13:46 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Matt Riddell wrote:

> On 2/09/09 9:10 PM, ABBAS SHAKEEL wrote:
>>
>> So howz about using IAX2....
>
> IAX2 is a touchy subject with some people.
>
> I personally use it as much as possible...

Ditto. IAX "just seems to work." I know many have had their issues with
IAX, but the number of "failure modes" seems smaller than SIP.

I have an IAXy that I use occasionally when I travel and it also "just
works" regardless of where in the world I plug it in.

Supposedly SIP gives better audio quality in some situations.

> I've seen situations a few times where IAX2 peers seem to disappear, and
> even restarting Asterisk doesn't bring them back - the only fix is to
> change bindport to 45691 for about 30 seconds then change it back.
> This points to the fact that it's a screwy NAT that causes the problem.

I've never seen this, but I'm a 1.2 Luddite so maybe this is a more recent
"feature."

> The problem is, there aren't that many people that agree with me :)

+1. I'd hate to see IAX "deprecated" in the mindset of the Asterisk users.

--
Thanks in advance,