[asterisk-users] [IAX] Recommended soft- and hardphones?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Oct 30 08:33:02 CDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Vincent wrote:

> Hello
>
> Since SIP/RTP is a pain to use with road warriors who need to connect
> from any location over the Internet, I'd like to get them some IAX
> phones instead.
>
> For those of you using this protocol instead of SIP, what would you
> recommend as IAX hardphones and Windows (and ideally Mac) softphones?
>
> Thank you.

I'll avoid the SIP/IAX religious war that usually breaks out over this
topic and actually provide an answer to your question.  :-)

Citel just announced an IAX hardphone not long ago.  I haven't used
it, but maybe you'd want to give it a shot and let the rest of us know
how it works.  As far as softphones, I'd say Zoiper has been my choice
for a while - runs on Mac and Windows.   (note: these are not official
recommendations; just random personal selections made with no
discernible criteria other than "it seemed like a good idea at the
time")

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/