[asterisk-users] [IAX] Recommended soft- and hardphones?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Oct 30 07:37:07 CDT 2009

My experience does not support your conclusions.  In my personal
observations of situations in which I have been involved, most
allegations of serious SIP problems related to source NAT ("IP
masquerading") are exaggerations stemming from lack of subject matter
comprehension.  This is bearing in mind, duly, that SIP and NAT *is*,
inherently, a problematic equation - of that, there can be no question.

But I've never had problems getting a SIP soft phone to make and
receive calls from anywhere I've taken it.  The only substantial
problem I've run into is that many NAT gateways lose UDP state quite
quickly, so after a certain period of inactivity, calls cannot be
received;  this is solved by decreasing the re-registration interval,
or increasing the frequency of state-sustaining SIP OPTIONS pings,
etc.  Many service providers have implemented such steps since the
last time I was involved with this problem seriously.

I'll take your word for the fact that IAX may be easier, though.