[asterisk-users] Answer call from another device

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Oct 26 15:11:32 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:58 -0500, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> *8 is the default value in features.conf to pick up a ringing line if you
> are in that ring group.

<snip>
One can take it even a little further than that depending on the phone.
We set up hints in extensions.conf so the programmable button lights on
our Snom phones indicate if a remote phone is ringing or off hook.
While it is ringing, a user can press the button which will issues the
*8 + extension and pick up the call.  Here is an abbreviated example:

; Joe
exten => 613,hint,SIP/joe

; Mary
exten => 614,hint,SIP/mary

; Mike
exten => 616,hint,SIP/mike

; Enable call pickup for hinted stations from any possible source contexts
exten => _*8XXX,1,Pickup(${EXTEN:2}@a10pub&${EXTEN:2}@a10a&${EXTEN:2}@a10f)

We're pretty new to Asterisk so there may be a much better way but this
worked for us.  Good luck - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation