[asterisk-users] OT - How to organize TFTP root directory ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:02:06 CDT 2009

2009/10/22 Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com>

> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 11:15 -0400, Dave Fullerton wrote:
> > #2 might be possible, but there's a lot of "depends on" factors.
> >
> > The ISC dhcpd often packaged in linux distributions has the ability to
> > specify different dhcp options to different "pools" of addresses. You
> > can then assign clients to pools based on a substring match of their mac
> > address. This then requires that the client (phone) will use the URL
> > specified in dhcp option 66. With all this put together you can assign
> > each brand of phone to its own pool/options where the options point it
> > to a URL containing the firmware for that brand of phone.
> >
> > I do this with my polycom phones and it works well. Don't know if it
> > works with other brands of phones.
>
> I've done this on a number of different phones, using both the ISC dhcpd
> server as well as dnsmasq.  I've never encountered any problems with it.

Could you then mix different brands and models ?

I think assigning a given address or an address pool to certain phones is
quite easy.
The trouble is to somehow forward every TFTP request coming from this
address to a given subdirectory.

For example, Thomson ST2030S phones would query a kind of bootfile (whose
name can be changed with ISC DHCP server options) but it would later query
another config file which (apparently) must reside on TFTP root.

Sometimes, I wondered if I should have several logical IP addresses for my
physical TFTP server so that I could "forward" each TFTP request to
appropriate subdirectory : if TFTP request is received in address1, then
"root" directory is /srv/tftp/dir1
and so on ...