[asterisk-users] Astricon

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Mon Oct 19 22:47:42 CDT 2009

On Oct 17, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Michael Graves wrote:

> I'm told that they will show up on the event site in about three
> weeks.
>
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:29:48 +0000 (UTC), Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>

>> Wish I could have made it :(  Is there a possibility of a
>> collection of
>> the talks/slides/handouts/videos/presentations for download?  Even
>> pay
>> for?
>>
>> Cheers,

The presentations will be available "real soon now" but the videos may
take a bit longer.

Indeed, there will be a cross-section of videos available soon.  We're
working on the schedule for these, but it takes some time to post-
process the videos and then we're probably not going to put them up
all at once, nor will all of them appear.  Three of the four tracks
were taped, and we'll pick some highlights (I'm taking suggestions -
email me with your ideas if you liked a particular talk or want to see
something specific.)

We have to balance a few things - if we put all the talks up, there is
a fear (not universally held, I might add) that it will effect
attendance next year.  Even a few percentage points would make the
conference go from what is essentially a break-even to "in the red"
and that's something we're trying very, VERY hard to avoid.  However,
posting the best talks will also excite people about attending next
year, so that's a positive for the conference.

Also, we'd like to use the talks as more than just advertising for
AstriCon.  These videos will hopefully be used for various teaching
purposes, or for convincing people that they can do fantastic things
with Asterisk just like the speaker did.  I hope to see them used as
sales tools that are used with management when skilled IT staff need
to make a point about Asterisk; I hope to see them used in educational
sessions where students can learn about how to use free tools; I hope
to see them used in discussions with governments about who is already
using OSS Asterisk to solve telecommunications problems.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/