[asterisk-users] IMAP voicemail using subfolders fails.

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Oct 19 17:42:29 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 17:29 -0400, Barry L. Kline wrote:

> I am running 1.6.0.15 and am trying to get IMAP storage working.   I
> have had no trouble doing so, except that I wish to create a subfolder
> in my account for voicemail, such that I have:
>
> #voicemail/
>    INBOX
>    Old
>    Family
>    Friends
>    Work
>
> I can set IMAPFOLDER=#voicemail.INBOX in voicemail.conf and successfully
> get voicemail to work as expected.   Messages appear in INBOX and are
> deleted if removed from the phone.  If, however, I attempt to "change
> folders" with option 2, I get the following error:
>
> file.c:950 ast_streamfile: Unable to open vm-#voicemail.INBOX (format
> 0x4 (ulaw)): No such file or directory
>
> Clearly, app_voicemail is looking for vm-INBOX and is building the
> voicemail prompt file name based upon the voicemail folder.  I attempted
> to symlink vm-INBOX.gsm to vm-vm-#voicemail.INBOX.gsm but that didn't
> help, either.
>
> I have tried using the combination of:
>
> IMAPPARENTFOLDER=#voicemail
> IMAPFOLDER=INBOX
>
> but in this case the VM system can't find the messages and the voicemail
> app simply dies.  So that isn't the right incantation.
>
> Surely, it's possible to do what I'm looking to do, isn't it?   So my
> questions are: "How do I configure app_voicemail to use IMAP
> subfolders?" and "I have used '/' as the delimter as well as the '.'
> character.  Am I using the wrong one and if so, what is the correct one?"
<snip>
I can't help you directly but I can share my experience with folders.  I
intentionally did not set up the folder structure in IMAP as recommended
in the documentation.  To my pleasant surprise, when the folders were
needed (e.g., a user moves a voice mail via the voicemail application to
"friends", etc.), they were created on the fly, i.e., Asterisk created
them within the IMAP folder system.  I am using 1.6.1.6 with Zimbra as
the backend - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation