[asterisk-users] OT - DECT SIP Phones

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sun Oct 18 11:41:15 CDT 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:53:10 +0100 (BST), --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

>----- "Alan Lord (News)" <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>| On 17/10/09 15:02, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
>| > Hi,
>| >
>| > I have three Snom M3s at the moment but getting pretty fed up with
>| the issues :(  I am UK based and would be interested to hear of other
>| peoples recommendations.  Key features :-
>| >
>| > * VM Notification
>| > * Good Range
>| > * G729 codec support
>| > * Common/Private Address Books per Handset(s)
>|
>| Siemens Gigaset:
>| http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/04/27/siemens-gigaset-685ip-phones/
>|
>| One of the most popular posts on my blog over the last 1 1/2 years. It
>|
>| still gets lots of hits from people looking for info on them.
>|
>| FYI We have two sets in our network - they haven't missed a beat since
>|
>| installation.
>|
>| HTH
>|
>| Alan

>| --
>Hi Alan,
>
>Yes I actually found your review when I went hunting ... Very informative indeed :) By all accounts from what I have read the sound quality appears to be far superior to the M3s due to wideband (G722).  Will be interesting to see how they perform across the VoipTalk accounts I have with IAX.
>
>Anybody using them with VoipTalk and what is the best codec to use ?

Your ability to use G.722 is limited to calling other phones that are
G.722, and they typically on when the call is pure IP. If the call
transits the PSTN then the phone can only use G.711 like the rest of
the legacy public phone network.

I know nothing about VoipTalk. If they allow you to call other VoipTalk
users via IP then you may enjoy wideband calls to them. Alternatively,
you may register a free account with some other SIP provider and start
making calls via SIP URI. This is the most common approach to achieving
wideband calling.

I wrote some guidance on doing just the
here:

http://www.mgraves.org/voip/2009/06/how-to-series-making-use-of-wideband
-voice-right-now/

Oh, yeah. I have a Gigaset A580IP with a couple of additional S67H and
SL78H handsets.

Michael
--
Michael Graves