[asterisk-users] Asterisk Monitoring

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Oct 17 23:02:33 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 01:30 +0100, Dan Journo wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I was wondering if anyone has any insights on the best way to
> automatically monitor an asterisk box to check it is constantly
> available and processing calls.

<snip>

It depends on how deep and far you want to go.  As already mentioned,
Nagios will do a nice job of letting you know SIP is responding and is
an all around excellent product.

Despite our familiarity with Nagios, we've been taking the plunge into
OpenNMS.  It is much, much, much more difficult to set up for Asterisk
monitoring and is an enormous product.  On the other hand, it gives you
access into the entire Asterisk SNMP MIB, does an outstanding job of
collecting and presenting statistics for all channels (not just SIP -
Nagios could theoretically expose the entire MIB but I don't know that
anyone has written such a plugin and doing it via the SNMP plugin alone
would be difficult at best).  We were very keen to track much more data
than Nagios gave us in order to tweak, troubleshoot, and diagnose our
services.  Hence the investment in learning OpenNMS.  Once you get past
the huge learning curve of OpenNMS, it is a remarkably powerful product.

There was a flurry of queries regarding the specifics of setting up
Asterisk monitoring on the OpenNMS mailing list just a couple of days
ago and another string on monitoring SIP a couple of weeks ago.  Hope
this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation