[asterisk-users] OT - DECT SIP Phones

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Oct 17 09:40:17 CDT 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have three Snom M3s at the moment but getting pretty fed up with the
> issues :( I am UK based and would be interested to hear of other peoples
> recommendations.  Key features :-
>
> * VM Notification
> * Good Range
> * G729 codec support
> * Common/Private Address Books per Handset(s)

Siemens Gigaset.

I tried the M3's - they're expensive and rubbishy plastic. Tiny buttons
and displays.

I've not found a better DECT system for range and clarity than the Siemens
ones - however some people have said that they're a bit quiet - make sure
you turn the volumes up in both the basestation and on the handsets. They
do support g729 natively, but I don't know if they carry it over the air -
DECT standard is G726 AFAIK... Although they do support a G722 wide-band,
so that'd have to be an over-air codec.

Their programming interface is a bit slow though - it's really horrible
javascript and pathalogically slow. I use google chrome...

There are features to sync. phone books between handsets too on the newer
ones, and they will display a big O_O type symbol when there is voicemail.

(It's a reel-to-reel tape symbol, but when was the last time anyone
actually used tape??? Bit like "dialling" a number I guess... :)

Gordon