[asterisk-users] Queues with unavailable members

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Oct 16 12:35:31 CDT 2009

"C. Chad Wallace" <cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> writes:

> It would only be trying one agent at a time for each waiting queue
> member...

Would it? Almost all our queues are on a ringall strategy.

> I don't know how expensive it is to open and close a Local channel and
> do a DB lookup, but I wouldn't expect it to be a real problem. You are
> at least avoiding multiple calls out to the cellular network.

Not that expensive, but still a bit of a waste when done every couple of
seconds. Especially if multiple agents are unavailable.

> Also, if there is another agent available, the caller would be connected
> immediately, and it wouldn't have to make any more attempts.  With the
> Wait() solution, that caller would be waiting for 30 seconds regardless
> of whether there's anyone else available.

This bit is solved by the ringall strategy.

> Of course, I don't know your business case, so you'll have to decide
> which of the two problems is worse.

I'm fairly happy with the Wait(1000) solution for now. We'll see if
testing shows any problems with it.

/Benny